Disclaimer: What I’m gonna write does not dishonor cultures or a group of people. So do not take it personally because my intentions is not to go against them.
Let me start with my family background, I grew up in a typical Filipino- Chinese CHRISTIAN family wherein we follow traditions and family culture. One good simple tradition is when we would wear red polos and blouses when someone older from our relative/ parents celebrates his or her birthday as a sign of respect to the celebrant. It symbolizes a lot of good things if we wear red when we celebrate someone’s birthday. We also give “angpao”/ aguinaldos that denominates in P1200, P2400 and so forth, the higher the value the better. We have good traditions and family culture that shows love, respect, generosity, and compassion. The acts of these traditions are not biblical in essence and we cannot find it in the BIBLE but the values and the motives of the heart inside the ACTIONS can be adequately implied in the verses LOVE one another in John 13:34 or Children obey and honor your parents as it says in Ephesians 6:1-2. It shows the love for others.
Now there are famous traditions and cultures that are some what controversial and trending, one good example is the “racial intermarriage”. A Filipino- Chinese person should not marry a Filipino. This has been a widespread problem to many couples and I’m gonna share to you my stand. Let us say that the guy is prepared spiritually, financially, emotionally and physically. Like 99% of him says that he should get married or he is in love with this Filipina girl (READY AND GODLY WOMAN) but HIS parents doesn’t take approval of it or simply wants to disinherit him if they DISOBEY the TRADITION AND CULTURE OF THE FAMILY (VISE VERSA). What should I do then?
1. JESUS is more than CULTURE- When you make a MAJOR decision in your life, JESUS must be part of it. If God has given you the desire to pursue someone because you find her beautiful and Jesus is in her life then go for it no matter what her background or heritage is. Jesus is already your NEW culture.
2. JESUS is more than MONEY- If you are threaten to be disinherited, its not the end of your life, it will take you definitely out of your comfort zone and you will definitely learn grace and TAKING UP your own cross (MAGPAPAPAKO KA NA TALAGA SA KRUS). You ask the question why will you be disinherited? If it is selfish motives from your parents then CHECK your heart and make sure not to rebel and dishonor them in return because you defeat the purpose of fighting for your love one instead you did it out of rebellion.
3. LIFE IS SO SHORT, LIVE IT RIGHT- There are seasons in life and there are things that you have to fight for in order for you to see and get your reward. You cannot simply be passive and take the easy road. We all go through the valley of shadow of death when we deal with this kind of problem and As MEN we need to take responsibility and MAN UP to undergo hardships and pruning. We could have lots of PLAN but JESUS still says it all. MAN-UP with JESUS.
4. GET OUT OF YOUR COMFORT ZONE- The world offers great comfort if we abide in selfish motives. Fight for it and LEAVE and CLEAVE (Gen 2:24) and believe in faith that GOD will provide financially. God wants you to depend on him like a tree planted by the streams of water where your roots will be attached to HIM. (Jeremiah 17:5-9) (psalm 1)
5. PRAYER- Lift it all in prayer because GOD hears it all.
6. BE ACCOUNTABLE TO SOMEONE- Get a mentor who can encourage you and update someone who can correct and remind you of the GOSPEL.
7. THE AUDIENCE OF ONE- Who would you please? Galatians 2:11-21
Now, it is your choice and don’t blame your culture or love ones if you don’t get to marry or you screwed in your relationship. Its all up to you.